I don't think there are such things as deal-sealers when it comes to people. I don't usually have a ding-ding-ding moment when I meet someone. The people who I'm close with and open up to are a diverse set of people -- they don't share one single trait. More importantly, their makeup of different traits and characteristics as a package are what seals the deal. However, they probably don't have too many of the following traits I consider deal-breakers. I wish I could say I have a higher standard when it comes to an interest of the opposite gender (in a non-friend way) but to my detriment, my threshold to endure their flaws becomes higher! I'm blinded by "love" and become too generous until I run out of love to lavish on them. I have stricter rules when it comes to friends.
In general, these are what I consider deal-breakers (however, I probably need to own up to a few of them...so easy to see the speck in someone else's eye even with the plank in my own eye-- also, a single one does not necessarily break the deal between you and me):
1. people inconsiderate of other people's time. i.e., people who are not punctual.
2. people who are stingy with money. I don't mind frugality (to an extent) but I mind it when you spend money on other random things on yourself and count your pennies when it comes to spending it on others.
3. people disinterested in religion. I think struggling with religion is very different from being totally disinterested in it. I am totally interested in those fighting the good battle.
4. people who are bad at eye-contact. I love to look at you when I speak. I love it when you look at me.
5. people who are stingy with time (wasting fifteen minutes talking to me won't kill you. please don't get out of sync because of a minor inconvenience).
6. guys who are picky eaters. I think one of the most attractive traits in a guy is his ability to chow down anything with a smile and without a complaint.
7. guys who are too politically correct (i.e., refuse to open doors or pick up my coat because they respect me as an equal. LAME).
8. on the other hand, too much chauvinism is a deal-breaker too but interestingly, less of a deal-breaker (can slyly be masked by or...as charm).
9. people disinterested in what I have to say (why should I be interested if you're not?)
10. guys who are too good at the interwebz (please don't be better at it than me).
11. guys who have no ambition and/or intellect.
12. ridiculously good-looking people.
13. people who disagree for the sake of disagreeing (this is me).
14. people uninterested in politics (though there is a fine line between too much interest and just enough).
15. racists.
16. people who are not presentable enough to introduce to family or friends.
17. guys who suck up to professors (sorry, double standard).
18. people who aren't on my wavelength.
19. it's actually hard for me to become your best buddy if your political beliefs feel evil and unkind to me.
20. parasites.
Disclaimer: I had to think a little too hard (i.e., things that aren't necessarily complete deal-breakers) to make sure I had twenty. Why twenty? Nice number.
my deal breakers:
ReplyDelete2, 6, 11, 20. and people who can't take a joke. and people who think everything is a joke. and pushovers. ugh, i can't stand pushovers!
"12. ridiculously good-looking people."
ReplyDeleteDammit, friendship over?
oh and for 15..
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM
"Everyone's a little bit racist
It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!"
omg. this list is so long. i feel pressured to think harder now
ReplyDeletemy mom told me to NEVER marry a pick eater.
ReplyDelete1,2,6,...and more but i forgot which..haha....this is a solid list.
ReplyDeleteit went from people to just guys....
ReplyDelete-_-
hahahaha....ridiculously good looking people... so you would hate zoolander?
ReplyDelete